Rana Hamadeh - Étude1: On Recitation
- Author: Rana Hamadeh in collaboration with André Castro
- Commissioned: Sonic Acts 2019
- Exhibition software development & concept: André Castro
- Sound Design: Matthias Hurtl
- URL: https://sonicacts.com/portal/rana-hamadeh-and-andre-castro--etude-1-on-recitation
In close dialog with Rana Hamadeh I developed a system which encoded the Arabic text from a section (surah) of the Qran into a sequence of perforated holes inscribed in an organ book. During the exhibition the organ book was continuously read and its sequence of wholes decoded back into text, displayed in a cube monitor, and into musical notes, performed by a self-playing piano.
Photos by Pieter Kers.